Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lessons Learned

I promise this isn't going to turn into "Heather's Fitness Blog" because holy shit how boring would that be?

"Today I got on the elliptical for 50 minutes and ate under my calorie goal."
"Today I got on the elliptical for 30 minutes then my trainer handed my ass to me."
"Today I got on the elliptical for 50 minutes and met my calorie goal."
"Today I bored the snot out of my readers and one of them set their computer on fire."

Snooze.

But I did learn something interesting yesterday that I should probably document for future generations or something.  You know somebody is going to google "workout made me feel horrible" and want an explanation.

Yesterday I got stuck in meetings at work and didn't have snacks.  Instead of eating 5 small meals (or 3 small meals and 2 big snacks, however you want to look at it), I ate breakfast, a big lunch, no snack in the afternoon, and I didn't drink enough water.  Then I met my friend at the gym and we hammered out some cardio.  By the end I was exhausted.

I got home and I was starving.  I downed a protein shake and then decided to make a salad.  Halfway through that I was like ewwww, I don't feel good.  And for the rest of the night I felt really nauseated and gross.

SO, my body really does do better when I eat several small meals and not 3 big ones.  I need to keep it fueled or I won't make it through my workouts.  I have to drink enough water or my whole system gets out of wack.  It's just so typical of me to hear these things over and over but not believe them until I experience them for myself.

Used to death- but yes.
Another idea I keep researching is that losing weight releases toxins into your body.  All of the googling I've done winds up on touchy-feely websites with advice about drinking algae 4 days a week and getting regular colonics.  Gross.  But I do wonder if losing weight can make you feel crappy and if there's any truth to the toxins aspect.  Just another reason to drink more water and eat food that contains ingredients you can pronounce.  Or less than 6 ingredients total.  They're both good ideas.

So many things to learn!  Now back to our regularly scheduled Jon Hamm ogling.

PS Guess where this water image came from?  PINTEREST.  Of course.  I found so many smart ideas in the time it took me to find this image (I'd seen it before).  Like putting 8 rubberbands on your wrist every morning and taking one off each time you drink a cup of water.  Or taking two water bottles and marking times on them so you are drinking water evenly throughout the day.  It's all very inspiring.

PPS Now I feel I owe you this.  Oh trust, you want to click that link!

Was I right or was I right?

No comments: