Thursday, October 30, 2008

Makeup!

I have an obsession with makeup. I loooooove it. I love to see what effects I can make with different products. I love testing stuff out on the back of my hand. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I'll play with colors in front of the bathroom mirror on a Saturday afternoon because it's FUN and things are instantly better. I'm quite attached to some products. And someone might be mildly interested in what they are, so I will share.

Foundation- I really don't use it. I think my face looks better without it. Foundation settles into lines on my forehead and then I suddenly HAVE LINES ON MY FOREHEAD. When I don't wear foundation this doesn't happen. I got some Mary Kay foundation recently and while I love how even my skin looks I sort of hate the lines thing. And the breakout thing. So I'm saving it for serious occasions when I really need my skin to look even and fantastic. Like parties or dates or something.

Concealer- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in the lightest color they make. It's great for breakouts, redness, dark circles. I've been using a tube of this for about 2 years now that I think about it. And like the mascara post I did a couple of weeks ago, that might be disgusting and it might be time to restock that. Ew. I've been searching for a concealer with a heavier consistency but so far I haven't found one I like.




Brows- HUGE b
ig deal for me. I was born blond, and while my hair has darkened up a lot, my eyebrows are still very very blond. As in not visible. So I use brown pencil and sometimes gel. My favorite pencil used to be from MAC, but then I tried Glimmersticks Brow Definer from Avon and I've never turned back. They are 1/4 of the price and work just ask well. And best of all the color is blond- not red or brown or beige. Sometimes I'll put MAC Browset over it but usually not. And despite the fact that you practically can't see them, I do pluck the stray hairs under my brows. (And this whole white blond thing really isn't something I should complain about. If I had dark hair I would be SASQUATCH and I'd probably have to wax my arms and upper lip and maybe my whole entire face! GROSS!)

Cheeks- MAC blush. I used to not wear blush until I realized how it makes me look young and alive and gives my face some dimension. So I have a pink one and a peachy one and I use them depending on my mood. I also have an Avon cream blush that I like but it takes a little more time to apply and blend in so I'm not as apt to use it.






Eyes-

Mascara- We all know that I'm pretty in love with my VOLUMINOUS mascara. But I'm also pretty happy with my CG Professional or Maybelline Full & Soft mascara too on days where I'm not looking for so much drama and just want to swipe something on. The more dramatic a mascara is the more you have to work with clumping and combing. So it's not an every day thing.
Liner-I love Avon's glimmersticks again for eyeliner. I used to use MAC but it gets greasy and falls into the creases under my eyes. I used to use basic covergirl eyeliner but that's too hard. Avon is just right. I use black or purple.


Eyeshadow- I'll tell you that I don't wear it, but that's a lie. I don't wear it often because it takes a lot of work to put on. I have deepset eyes so eyeshadow tends to just settle into my crease area and that's gross. If I want it to stick I have to cover my whole eye area with MAC Paint in Bare Canvas. Then start applying layers of eyeshadow. I love a smoky eye but I rarely do it. BLEND! BLEND MORE! Another product I love is Physician's Formula Mineral eye makeup. It came in a little tube with an applicator and went on wet and set really fast. This has been discontinued which is depressing. I can see how some people maybe didn't like it, but I LOVED it. I'm hoading the tube I have left. (There's a ton of product in there, I probably could use it every day for a year and not use it up. So I guess I'll live.)

Highlight- Thanks to Carmindy's Five Minute Face, I was introduced to the world of highlighter. I just use it on the tops of my cheekbones, my brow bones, and sometimes the inner corner of my eye. I use Jane eyeshadows for this- either in It's A Girl or Sungloss. One is pink and one is yellow but once they're on they just look sort of irridescent. Again, adding dimension is a good thing. I don't use bronzer. It just winds up looking dirty or weird on someone as pale as me.

Lips- I'm partial to Avon Glazewear. I used to love MAC, but again it is really expensive and the texture was sticky. I have tried just about every brand of lipstick out there but then concluded that I don't LIKE lipstick. It dries my lips out and needs reapplying and YUCK. Kohl's sells a really good long wearing lip color- it's American Beauty Super Plush 10 Hour Lip Color and it's worth trying out. Don't even pretend that this will last 10 hours, that's ridiculous.

No comments: