Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The one where she’s molding young minds

I teach part-time at a local design college, and today I realized that I really LOVE teaching. Almost more than I love my ‘real’ job. I got to school tonight all tired and wasn’t really in a teaching mood. But once I got into the brainstorming and the writing things down on the board, and talking about what I’ve been doing for the past few years, it felt great. My students ask a lot of questions, they’re interested, and they want to learn. It is a great feeling.

Last semester I started one night a week sort of on a whim. I didn’t really know anybody in my new city in The South, and someone at The Corporation asked if I would be interested. The pay was pretty decent for one night’s work, so off I went to teach a computer aided design program to a small class. And now I’m back this semester for 2 nights a week. This is a little tiring to put on top of a regular work week, and I think next semester I’ll probably knock it back down to one class again, but it’s not bad. I’m meeting a lot of cool people through the school, and making some contacts could be useful in the future. Who knows. The feeling I get talking to all these students is really worth it.

Today at The Corporation my whole department was tested for color blindness. It seemed pretty easy to me, but then in my last job I had to know about a zillion shades of denim. When I first started there my boss would look at 4 swatches of denim fabric, and say something along the lines of, “Well, this is out because it is entirely too red, and this one is too blue. What do we pay these people for???” And I’d be standing there staring hard at 4 identical pieces of fabric thinking, HUNH? Anyway, today was easy. I only got 1 wrong out of 70 or 80 color samples that I had to put in order. I haven’t gotten my results back and I really don’t know too much about the test. All I know for sure is that greens are a bitch to differentiate from each other.

Time for Project Runway! My Wednesday night guilty pleasure. (How is it that Santino is STILL THERE? Aside from the drama factor of course….

No comments: