Monday, January 30, 2006

The one with randomness, relationships, and the dam

I find it funny the MHM and I have our best conversations when we’re in the car driving randomly. I guess it is because we have to listen to each other, there is nothing to distract us: no books, no TV, no bad movies, no puzzles, no crazy music. (Well, I have to take that back. We were blasting Tenacious D at some point.) Anyway, my point is that it is just us in the car, being ourselves without anything else in the way. I’ve always been a person who is better in the car anyway. When I feel a panic attack coming I find that a good aimless drive makes me feel a lot better, especially when I get to sing at the top of my lungs. I don’t think MHM and I are NOT at the point where we’re going to deafen each other with our bad voices. Not yet.

Anyway, our ramblings led us to this huge dam near my city in The South and for some reason all of the gates were open and the river below was churning and rising and just looked cool. So of course we had to go see what that was all about and get as close as we possibly could and watch. The roar was incredible. I don’t know why, but a lot of people had fishing rods and kept their hook in the shallows trying to catch something. I honestly don’t see how any fish could stay in one place long enough to bite. But bless their hearts those people sure were at it for a long time. We stayed until it got too cold, and then went home for some dinner.

Yesterday my stomach started making ominous noises and rumblings and really there was a full brass band in there, and then the real adventure started. I don’t know what is happening, if I’m just sick or ate something bad or what, but it is NOT FUN. I’m not at work today, and I won’t be teaching tonight. Instead I’m sleeping and trying to get some liquid into me whenever I can. When MHM left at 5:30 this morning I was up ½ an hour later to get Kaopectate and a pregnancy test. With all the feeling nauseated lately I figured it wouldn’t hurt to put my mind at ease about THAT at least. Of course it is negative, I’m a careful girl. But I cannot describe that feeling of relief every time one of those things come up with the minus sign on it. It’s just overwhelming. I want children SOMEDAY, but not TODAY, and I don’t want to be faced with the decision of what to do should that come up before I (we?) am ready.

Anyway, today I have been sleeping and watching bad TV (Rachel Ray and Living Single and whatever other mindless crap I can find). Rachel Ray is one of those people who irritate and endear at the same time. I don’t get it. There are 3 incarnations of her: shorter brown hair and slightly chubby, doesn’t talk as much (can you believe it? Neither can I), then the longer layered hair, slightly thinner, and bubbly (my favorite), then the blond highlights, engagement ring, and obviously somebody got a personal trainer (her voice gets WAAAY more annoying as well). Sometimes she’s great and sometimes I want to throw my TV out the window, but I usually just change channels as this is much more cost-effective.

Anyway, time for more sleep. I hope I can calm the raging intestines and get back to work tomorrow. I HATE being sick. Last summer took the cake (the mono-type virus, liver complications and strep NIGHTMARE that kept me out of work for 6 weeks and ended in my getting the old tonsils out last fall after 5 strep infections in 3 months), but that doesn’t mean it’s any more fun to get something that isn’t serious. I learned then that sleep is the answer. I’m not going to be a martyr when it comes to illness.1/60/06

No comments: