Sunday, July 25, 2010

The New Toy

Readers, I have found a new piece of equipment that has satisfied me in ways I never thought possible. A powerful device that works so well I can't stop using it again and again. An appliance that makes me feel so dirty I don't know if I'll be able to look people in the eye anymore. Each attachment does something new and exciting. I might not leave the house all day because I know there is more that it can do and I want to see if I can find the limit of it's talents.

Friends, I bought a new vacuum cleaner.

Yesterday I was trying to clean the baseboards in my condo and there was almost zero suction happening. I checked the hose- it wasn't clogged. The filters were clean. And then it occurred to me that I've had this particular vacuum cleaner for 10 years and it probably had lasted a really REALLY long time in vacuum cleaner years- I have friends who buy new ones every 3 years or so.

I jumped onto Consumer Reports, and Target, and Amazon, and found a vacuum that was recommended and well-reviewed. Meet the Bissell Cleanview Helix Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner. I am AMAZED at how much crap this guy sucked up, given that I just vacuumed with my old cleaner the day before. It is really easy to empty the canister, and all of the fuzz and hair and gritty fine dirt in there blew me away. It's lighter than my old one and much more powerful. And my favorite part might be the little Turbo Brush attachment that is another spinning brush for stairs and upholstery (the fact that the suction tube has a handle on it is a nice touch too). It pulled a ton of junk out of the stairs. I can't believe how much dirt I was living in!

So yes, now I am REALLY done spending money for a while. I just saw this as an emergency purchase, and at $80 I think it was a real bargain.

No comments: