Saturday, June 19, 2010

When in doubt, don't.

It occurred to me today just how annoying Benjamin Franklin must have been. I was reading an article that started with one of his quotes. "He that can take rest is greater than he that can take cities." One of my favorite episodes of Bones featured a character who spoke exclusively in Benjamin Franklin quotes, and it was framed as her not having an original thought or thing to say for herself. But reading this quote just made it clear that Ben and I would not get along.
I'm pretty sure that had I been a founding father I would have been in the back of the room with the other upstart founding fathers, snickering at Ben's pompous overblown "deep" statements. And just guffawing at the guy writing them down. And he'd give us a withering look and say something like, "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do." And we'd be like OH BEN, come off it. And he'd say "Haven't you been in my city for MONTHS? Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days."
And we'd just roll our eyes and watch him strut around and Thomas Jefferson would look extremely uncomfortable and George Washington would give us a warning glare. It would be like a staff meeting at work. One of us would giggle and say "Well done is better than well said!" and he'd get really mad because that's HIS QUOTE being used against him!

PS Yes I know this is a really random post but go google his quotes and you'll see what I mean. How did they stay around for so long?

No comments: