Friday, March 06, 2009

Healthy as a Horse

Well this has been an interesting couple of days. I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor because of this really annoying cough I have. And while I was there I also brought up the fact that I've been having this fluttery feeling in my chest every now and then. Sort of like my heart is turning over or doing Olympic Gymnastics or something along those lines. Exactly the same feeling I had when I was on a new birth control pill for all of 2 weeks and my heart started doing really fun stuff like skipping beats every 10 seconds, except this time my heart wasn't skipping. Just fluttering. So my days were something like this: Flutter, cough cough, flutter, cough, nothing for 2 hours, flutter cough. It honestly didn't feel like a big deal, and guess what? It wasn't. After blood work and 24 hours of heart monitoring and an EKG what do I have? Allergies.

So now I get to take Mucinex DM until the bottle is gone, Zyrtec until that bottle is gone, and Doxycycline until that bottle is gone, which means 10+ days of drugged up FUN but I should be able to breathe without coughing so that works for me. I have zero symptoms of any heart trouble: no shortness of breath, no chest pains, no dizziness or fainting, no swelling of my ankles. My blood pressure was a little high but I whipped out my blood pressure diary to prove that my blood pressure is always normal at home and always crazy at the doctor's office so I have to monitor that and go back in a month. I will LIIIIIIIVE. I'm so glad.

I also learned that I am allergic to penicillin, and not codeine as I had previously thought. When I had my bad reaction over a year ago everyone had assumed that Lortab was causing the breathing difficulties, but no. Yesterday I took my Augmentin and 2 hours later was feeling all dreamy and forgetting to breathe again. So that was the end of that. I was scared to take it last night so my doctor gave me something else today and it is game over for me and penicillin based antibiotics. Which is great because now I won't have to be scared of codeine based pain killers... unless I am allergic to BOTH. Then we've got some problems.

Is anyone else completely repulsed by Mucinex? I thought the name was bad enough, but the smell of that medicine gets me every time. It is NASTY. And the commercials are awful but not nearly as bad as the ones for the toenail fungus where the little devil dude LIFTS UP A TOENAIL AND JUMPS UNDER IT. God I got chills just typing that. Lemme see if I can find a video so that everyone else can share in the horror.... You need only watch the first 10 seconds!


(What did I tell you! It is appalling isn't it?? I've watched it five times in a row and the involuntary shudder happens every time, I swear.)

And while we are on the subject of irritating commercials, has anyone seen the new Stayfree commercial where the girl wakes up in white pajamas and bounces out of bed and on with her day which has presumably been made 80 times better because she didn't have any overnight "oops" moments resembling a Quentin Tarantino film? I hate that commercial. She's so annoying. We would never be friends in real life because I'd probably hide her green tea and she'd hide my tampons and that would mean WAR.

No comments: