Monday, March 16, 2009

Foodstuffs

Okay, so I really think this has turned into a fashion, makeup, and cooking blog. Which is fine by me because those might be three of my favorite things to talk about, but it might get sort of tedious. Maybe one day I'll pick one and stick to it.

Until then...

Here are some things I've tried out in the kitchen realm of things that are awesome. Try them. You'll like them.

Sweetwater Blue
This beer is excellent. I sort of randomly grabbed it off the shelf because my friend Eric talked about it once so I decided to try it. One night I cracked one open and took a sip. "Mmmmmm... I would like to have blueberry muffins," I thought. And then I took another sip and blueberry pancakes popped into my head. WHAT? BLUE means Blueberries, but not the fake blueberry flavor you get out of boxed muffins. Instead a really good blueberry flavor and aroma are magically built into this beer. I'm a fan. I'd link to the website but it is the most annoying site I've come across in a long time so go google it for yourself.

Gluten-free Girl's How-to Videos
Shauna and her husband the Chef have started posting little how-to cooking videos that they've filmed on their Flip Mino digital camera and he does cheffy things like breaking down a chicken and making chicken stock. These two crack me up because they are obviously having so much fun putting these videos together and they are so HAPPY. I really enjoy watching them getting a kick out of themselves.

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Honey Bee Ice Cream
Five or six years ago I discovered Ben & Jerry's limited edition "Honey I'm Home" ice cream which was honey ice cream (duh) with little honeycomb candies mixed in and it was AWESOME. Of course, it was also limited edition which destroyed a little piece of my soul that has still not recovered. The other day I found this ice cream from Haagen Dazs, and while it does not taste like the Ben & Jerry's stuff, it does taste EXACTLY like the home made ice cream we'd make in the crank ice cream maker when I was a kid. It is rich and fantastic. Best of all, it is PERMANENT in the Haagen Dazs flavor world.

Nigella Lawson
I adore Nigella Lawson. She's the spectacular British cook with the vocabulary of a thesaurus. I'm reading her cookbook, "How To Be A Domestic Goddess" and it is a really fun book. So the measurements might have gotten screwed up in translation and my Oat Bars were veering towards something more like Oat Soup until I added some flour to the mix, I don't care. I'm reading the thing, not planning to seriously bake from it. She has a great section on her website called "Nigella Loves", so now of course I want to buy everything on it... and most of those things can only be found in England. Rats.

No comments: