Friday, October 17, 2008

David Sedaris

I went and saw David Sedaris live at TPAC tonight, and it was fantastic. I laughed so hard I was crying. He didn't read from his book, instead he read from new stories he's working on and tweaking as he does his tour. One of the funniest things was when he was talking about overhearing McCain supporters saying, "If Barack Obama gets elected I'm leaving the country!" And David was like, "Where would you go? Europe isn't exactly right-wing. I mean, in France you can marry your own gay children."

So awesome. If you ever get a chance to see him live, go. I think it is great than an author doing a reading can fill Jackson Hall- that place is huge. He stayed after to sign books, and someone said that last time he stayed until 2:00 am and the last book was signed and the last person spoken to. I really admire that. And I really am impressed at how he can take the smallest most mundane observations and make hilarious stories out of them. At one point he completely lost pages he was reading from and kept saying "oh my goodness! oh my goodness! this is terrible!" And when he was done reading said that had never happened to him and it was like his worst nightmare. But to me it just made him all the more endearing.

No comments: