Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Reading List

I've been reading a lot lately, and as I am terrible with titles AND authors, I figured this would be a good place to keep track of all the stuff being poured into my brain via novels. Or non-novels. Most of my books I get from the libary, so it isn't like I can just browse my bookshelf for whatever it is I'm thinking of. So here's the list since, say, January. I'm sure there are more, I'll add them as I remember them....

Mayflower, by Nathaniel Philbrick. Really great descriptive account of the Pilgrims all the way from England to Holland to New England. And the ensueing war with the Natives. Great book, with lots of first-hand accounts. Feeds my fascination with 17th century American History.

Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison. Started really slow, but the ending was so good. The whole entire story came together in the last chapter, and somehow a search for family history was actually very gripping.

The Best Life Diet, by Bob Greene. It's smart. It makes sense. I'm just hanging out here in Phase 1 and I don't feel like I'm dieting. So I guess the book is doing its job.

The Buccaneers, by Edith Wharton. This was so Jane Austen-y, as in who is going to marry whom and will they be of the correct class and what happens when, gasp!, when they realize a marriage based on 1 month of courtship might not cut it? American women take on London in the 1800s. And they all marry titled men. And most are completely miserable. It was an odd little book, but I still enjoyed it.

Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd. I'm not finished with this one yet, but lots of modern cultural references point to the fact that women's lib has probably gone the way of the corset. Women are actually turning back into 50s house wife wannabees and not noticing or caring. I guess we all want to relax from all of that pressure of career AND children. Pick one. And enjoy it.

No comments: