Saturday, November 18, 2006

Bond, James Bond

I had my doubts, but Daniel Craig ROCKS as James Bond. When I first heard he was going to be the new one, I was dismayed. A blond Bond? Oh no no no. Bond has be handsome and sauve and cool under pressure, not some rugged looking dude who isn't exactly handsome. But it turns out that rugged works just fine for Bond, actually better than the ones I've seen so far (and let make it clear that I'm not anything like some James Bond afficianado, I can't even remember the plots and certainly can't connect the plots with the titles). There was just enough humor, just enough realistic violence, and some good plot twists and stunts that I did not see coming. I give it an A+.

3 comments:

Heather Meadows said...

That "opening gambit" (as they refer to pre-title sequence stuff in MacGyver) was fantastic. I was gaping pretty much the whole time.

I especially loved how the guy he was chasing matter-of-factly, as if he did it every day, ping-ponged down the elevator shaft.

Heather said...

My gaping moment was the end where bad man is like, "I'll kill her!" and Bond says, "Allow me." Ohhhh, I'm never getting in Bond's way, that's all I'm saying.

Heather Meadows said...

I have a friend (who reminded me that the chase wasn't really the opening, since it occurred after the titles) who didn't much care for the ending, but I liked it. I didn't really care if Bond was going to haul the guy in or kill him right there. I didn't think that resolution was important. The important thing was that he'd figured it out and won the day.

Plus, leaving it open to interpretation means Bond is as badass as you want him to be.