Saturday, May 26, 2018

Dupes! Kat Von D vs Physician's Formula Liquid Eyeliner Pens

Originally published 7/20/15

You know, one thing I never really thought I could get the hang of was liquid eyeliner.  The little stubby brushes in the little pots of ink were a MESS on me.  Gel liner was slightly better, and with the Essence Gel Liner and an angled brush from Sonia Kashuk, I could do a decent winged look.
But it never stayed on completely. I have hooded lids or deep-set eyes or whatever we're calling it now.  When my eyes are open there is very little to no visible lid between my lashline and my browbone.  So liner will usually get oily and crease up and look really terrible within hours.
Enter the Physician's Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner + Serum.  (Whew, let me go recover from typing that ridiculously long name).  It's a felt-tip pen.  It is SO easy to use.  And the liner stays put for hours.

IMG_20150716_214310
I love this stuff.  I can't say that the "boosting serum" part has done anything at all, I'm only talking about the eyeliner properties.  It's the only eyeliner I would use until...  I was scrolling through Instagram, as one does, and Kat Von D posted pictures of her limited Edition Anniversary Tattoo Eyeliner.  The packaging is GORGEOUS, and $1 of every sale goes to the California Wildlife Center.  SOLD!  (Thank you for helping me justify my makeup purchases, good causes.)

IMG_20150716_214101 (1)

Oh my goodness, it's SO PRETTY!  Look at that packaging.  And once you rip it open- the stars!

IMG_20150716_214142

Then I got to looking at the product, and the similarities are striking:

IMG_20150716_214238

Same size and pen shape...

IMG_20150716_214329

No seriously....
IMG_20150716_214339

They look exactly the same.  But how do they perform?

Maybe 30 minutes after I applied both to the back of my hand (Physician's Formula is on the left, Kat Von D is on the right):
IMG_20150709_092310
Pretty much exactly the same texture.  Physician's Formula was a little blacker.

Two hours later:
IMG_20150709_110053

Kat Von D is fading faster.  3 hours in:
IMG_20150709_125948

Both looking a little faded.  Physician's Formula held up slightly better, but they're both still very good.  On my eyes the Kat Von D starts to break down after about 5 hours, and the Physician's Formula will stay put for at least 8.

The Physician's Formula 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner and Serum is available at Ulta for $10.99.  The Kat Von D Five Fearless Years Limited Edition Tattoo Liner is available at Sephora for $24.00.  I know which one I'll be repurchasing....

No comments: