Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Library List

I thought it might be an interesting experiment to keep track of my library books here. I am in my branch at least once or twice a week, and I get books sent from other libraries or put on hold so often that I have my library card number memorized. I cannot sing the praises of the Nashville Public Library system enough- they will send any book to whatever branch is convenient for you. You can check books out for 3 weeks at a time and renew them twice. (9 weeks total with one book- read it already!) The main library downtown is beautiful and they will validate parking. What's not to love?

I think it is really funny to see what kind of reading kicks people get on, so here is mine.

Today I returned:

The Comfortable Home: How to Invest In Your Nest and Live Well For Less by Mitchell Gold and Bob Williams
I love the Mitchell Gold store in Nashville, and think their whole decorating and business philosophy rocks. I also love their furniture although I don't think I'll be affording any of it any time soon. This book had a lot of contemporary styling with a twist.

Bunny Williams' Point of View: Three Decades of Decorating Elegant and Comfortable Houses
"Bunny"? Really? Her style is way too cluttered and ornate for me. But interesting.

To Your Taste: Creating Modern Rooms With a Traditional Twist by Celerie Kemble
Again with the crazy names. This book was boring, in fact, I am 99% sure I've checked it out before and just forgot.

Downsizing Your Home With Style: Living Well In a Smaller Space by Lauri Ward
This book is AWESOME. It has lots of really good ideas for how to live with limited square footage and get creative with storage options. If you live in a small space or if you will be soon, I highly recommend it.

Home Therapy: Fast, Easy, Affordable Makeovers by Lauri Ward
Another good one- she's got some great ideas.

Home Rules: Transform the Place You Live Into a Place You Love by Nate Berkus
Another book I really enjoyed with lots of easy decorating ideas that don't feel too stuffy. Not as functional a designer as Lauri Ward, but still good.

Okay is it weird that every single home decorating book I got has a colon in the title? I think so! I found all of these by going through some home decorating reading lists people had put together on Amazon and seeing what was in my local library. I find this is a good method for getting really good books. I hate when books waste my time.

So here's a brain trail. Today I read The Pioneer Woman's 20 interesting things about Vivien Leigh. Which of course got me thinking about Gone With the Wind. Which made me think it's been years since I read the book so I should re-read it. Especially since it's been hot around here this summer and I just read some Civil War stuff that was really honest and graphic- why not read the one that completely romanticizes it? So I searched the library's website to see which branch had the book, and that led to all kinds of craziness.

So today I checked out:
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

On the Road to Tara by Aljean Harmetz

Moulin Rouge by 20th Century Fox

The Official Companion to The West Wing

I love Moulin Rouge and The West Wing, and they were both right next to The Road to Tara so I figured I might as well read all about those too.

I am on a crazy reading kick, and I'm not even finished with Wicked yet! Just a few more pages to go though... still a very worthwhile read.

No comments: