Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Oh HELL - Nail Update

So for the past month I've done really excellently well on the nail-biting front if I do say so myself. A few little slips now and then, but I kept them polished and filed and all that and they were great. I was wearing dark nail polish to remind myself to not gnaw on them. And then I took off the dark stuff and put on some light pretty polish and... all hell broke loose. I ripped all of my nails off and within a day I was right back to square one.

It is maddening. Starting over. I put the dark dark polish on again (it looks so terrible when it is messed up and the way to mess it up is to put my fingers anywhere near my teeth), and started applying copious amounts of Badger Balm (current favorite stuff- I was using a Sally Hanson cuticle oil pen but I blew through 2 of those in a week and a half so that's not very economical and besides it was mostly just almond oil). Everything should look better in 2 or 3 days, but it takes so much focus that I am sort of surprised.

I guess there are two good things about falling off the wagon. First of all, I now know how easy it is to slide back into old habits. And second, this time it HURT. My fingertips actually hurt a lot. They didn't used to do that, so I suppose I'm getting some sensitivity back into my nails or cuticles or whatever.

I'm trying not to berate myself too much over this. I'm human, we all make mistakes, blah blah blah. I will focus on the positive- lesson learned, my nails need monster amounts of moisture and my hands need to stay busy when I'm not doing anything. So, there's the update. SIGH.

No comments: