Sunday, January 11, 2009

This and That

Sorry for the sort of schizo posting lately. Being back at work for a full week was an adjustment, and things there have been slow so my brain gets sort of numb. It should pick up next week though. I'm figuring out ways to learn some new skills this year at work- I think it will pay off.

I have been reading this great book called "The Thirteenth Tale" that has me completely absorbed- it is sooooooo good! (Edited because I realized I can put my Goodreads.com reviews on here! Awesome!)

After I finish "The Thirteenth Tale" I need to read "The Glass Castle" (another book club book) which is supposed to be great. Then I have that biography that the movie The Duchess was based on- "Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire", but that I got after months on the library waiting list so I need to read that FAST because I can't renew it as it is on hold by someone else. I was going to take it back to the library and just re-join the holds list but I read the first page and it looks GREAT so somehow I'm going to have all of this stuff read in 10 days. Right. Dream big, I say. I did take back the John Adams biography because I was getting a little tired of it. And since so much was pulled from the letters he and Abigail wrote to each other I think I want to just get that book instead. Those two were insane correspondents. I don't think I've ever written so much in my whole life as they wrote to each other- school essays, blogging, letters, emails, and diaries included.

Last night I went out with one of my friends from work. We had dinner at PF Chang's where the waiter told us about all of the celebrities who come in (some lead singer of some band was there at the bar but I didn't really know who the band was so I didn't care). Then we went to see Gran Torino, which was a fantastic movie. I love Clint Eastwood films. They are exactly what I look for in movies. There's a good story, guilt, redemption, nice big sweeping themes tied into fairly small stories, and the pace is right. And they always feel a little old school to me. He was great in this movie. Go see it.

I've sort of tweaked my exercise New Years Resolution. I'm going to see if I can keep my number of miles walked at or above the day of the year it is. For example, today is the 11th day of the year and I've walked 11 miles. Ta Da! So far so good. I can do 2 miles every other day and then on the off days do strength training. I think strength training is the big weight-loss secret for me. I love to do it because you get results so fast (is that a bicep I see?) and you really feel like you're DOING something when you're so sore for the next 48 hours. I love that.

I know, I know, nothing major going on to write about. It could be a while before my next post. Winter is never a good time for me to keep up with this stuff. I'm more into reading and hibernating than writing or creating. So, sorry in advance....

No comments: