Thursday, October 02, 2008

Why I Started This Blog

As all zero of my long-time readers might know, when I started this blog it was a really anonymous project. I didn't say what my name was (aside from the obvious anyway!), or who anyone else was I wrote about. My now-ex-boyfriend Sam was MHM (My Handsome Man), he didn't get to see it for months, and that was only after he did some serious sleuthing. I talked about people in terms of how they related to me, not who they actually were. I didn't say I lived in Nashville, I didn't say who I was or what I did, and for the most part I still don't. I don't even know what possessed me to do it, except that I read a lot of blogs and I wanted to try it out for myself. I didn't know what a blog was until I met Sam and he introduced me to the wonderfully written and sometimes heartbreaking world of Magazine Man on Somewhere On the Masthead. So I gave it a shot.

I was really proud of one particular post and I told my sister about this blog and swore her to utmost secrecy. When you are writing something incognito you are much more likely to share highly personal stuff and I didn't want anyone I knew to read about it. I was terrified of someone finding out my secret identity, to the point where I took the blog down twice. Paranoid much?

But now I've gotten to a comfort level where I'm relaxed about who reads this and what they think. It's mostly a place for me to share stories and opinions, and people who know me in real life know that I am not shy about sharing some opinions! It's also become a place where I post some craft projects because I like to document the process, and it is good for that too.

I've been hesitant to share this with close friends and family members because I have read a lot of really self-centered, dull, overblown blogs and I didn't want anyone to think of me that way. I don't want this to be like, "Oh I guess I should read Heather's blog post because she's bound to ask me about it. Wow she's one heck of a self-absorbed person. How long is she going to ramble on for? How much can someone talk about their eyebrows???" It was an experiment that grew into something bigger and now that I want friends and family to read it, we are WAY past the awkward stage. You can't just casually mention to your mother or best friend that you've been writing a blog in a public domain for two and a half years and haven't bothered to share it with them. But I think there were some good reasons at the beginning.


So, welcome to my blog. I am sorry it has taken me so long to share it with the people I know in real life. I ramble and I am really inconsistant with how often I post, but it's here. Now you can read all of my genius/flash of brilliance ramblings for yourselves.

PS How am I STILL having font problems??? I give up. Get a magnifying glass if necessary.

No comments: