Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The one where the saga begins....

Oh JOY, January is shaping up to suck. I had to get a root canal today. So I leave work early, get in my car, turn the key, and... nothing happens. This is not all that unusual. My battery has been dying randomly on my for a while now. So I fly out of the car, track down a co-worker with jumper cables, and we jump my car. Adding this to the long LONG list of things that need to be done to my poor Camry (new brakes, new CV boots on the front, and a new oil pan seal), I take it to the closest dealer and see if the service center can figure out what's going on with the electrical system. We shall see. Oh, and did I mention that since jumping it the airbag light has been on?

Meanwhile I am in a rented 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix which is sort of fun to drive but feels like a tank. It's costing me $30 a day. The Camry place will call me back and let me know what is going on.... Of course I am trying not to freak out, but the Kelly Blue Book price for trade in on my car is $1075, and that's in GOOD shape. Otherwise it's worth about $600. Don't you wanna trade me? I need a new car. Something reliable. With great mileage. I do a lot of driving these days, what with the 100 miles to see my handsome boyfriend every weekend, and part time teaching at a college 25 miles from home.

The whole thing makes me sad. I have LOVED my Camry. I got it in my sophmore year of college, named her Lady Luck, and it has been soooo great until the past year or so. It turned 150,000 miles a week ago and almost 80,000 of those miles are mine. I will sure miss it. And for sure I will miss not having a car payment on top of student loan and credit card debt.

Being a grown up is NOT all it is cracked up to be. Oh yeah, and my teeth are killing me, despite the 800mg Ibuprofin the endodontist gave me.

Until next time, when I'm sure I'll have an update....

No comments: